Where the money lies in smart grids
- Datamining and CRM technologies
- Database development (SQL Server 2008 and Oracle)
- Data storage hardware
- Business analytics and intelligence software and services
- Workflow analysis software and services
- Carrier-class networking (upgrades from enterprise-grade)
- Telecommunications provision (especially wireless)
- Security and privacy technologies and consulting
- Marketing and audience development consulting
- In-home displays and building automation hardware, software and services
- ZigBee-enabled networking equipment and white goods (for retail)
Where the action is
- Victoria Australia's most advanced state with its scoping plans and starting a second-generation smart meter rollout (complete 2012). Strong State Government support and direction.
- NSW Trials underway and start for commercial meter rollout expected over five years from 2012. Energy Australia has 12,000 sensors on its distribution network, 400,000 first-generation "smartish" meters and 7000 second-generation two-way smart meters in a trial.
- WA Power and water companies especially interested in developments in Victoria and NSW. Expected to beat NSW in its commercial rollout of infrastructure.
- Queensland Considering its plans after initial budget concerns at the cost of the rollout in its state. Trial next year.
Timeline : advanced meter rollout (Victoria)
The Victorian Government has set deadlines for the implementation of smart meters
- 30 Jun 2010 - 5% meters
- 31 Dec 2010 - 10% meters
- 30 Jun 2011 - 25% meters
- 30 Jun 2012 - 60% meters
- 30 Jun 2013 - 95% meters
- 31 Dec 2013 - installation complete
source: Victorian Government
What Victoria's smart meters must do
- half-hour interval data
- Remote reading
- Remote activation
- Remote deactivation
Where to go for more information
Keen resellers and integrators would gain an insider's view of the industry from conferences bringing the energy industry together.
August 5-7, Gold Coast
Electricity 2009: The 85th National Electric Energy Society of Australia
August 10, Sydney
Power and Electricity World NSW
September 1, Sydney
Automation and Communication Technologies in Power Conference
October 21-22, Sydney
Metering, billing and CRM 2009
Go here for more information on industry conferences.
Follow on Twitter
- @SmartGridTech - news, market research, strategy, sales, consulting
- @TandDArena - virtual event covering smart grid case studies and news
- @UtilityNewsLink - chatter from the world of utilities
- @sensorstuff - the sensors used in smart grids
Government and industry websites hold information on the laws, policies and directions