Speaking to iTnews, Basslink Telecoms general manager Michael Coates said he expected fibre building activities connecting the Victoria landing station and Melbourne would be completed by the end of the week.
"End-to-end testing between Melbourne and Hobart will be undertaken next week," Coates said.
"Shortly thereafter, providing everything is OK, customer activations will commence."
Basslink has given a range of dates for the go-live of trans-Bass Strait capacity. It will happen between June 24 and 30, Coates said.
The go-live will effectively end Telstra's monopoly on capacity links into Tasmania - and anticipated price reductions are expected to result in a number of competitive entrants into the ADSL2+ market.
In related news, Coates said that Basslink's submission to the Senator Conroy's department regarding the broadband blackspots scheme had been well-received.
He also welcomed in principle calls by Macquarie Telecom for funding of a redundant dark fibre path to Melbourne as part of the scheme, but was unsure it would occur.
"It's a bonus if it gets contemplated but the reality is that Tasmania is ceasing to be a blackspot with the second link [Basslink] going live," Coates said.
"It will be interesting to see which blackspots are chosen and the methodology the Government uses to choose them."
Coates said Basslink was unlikely to contribute further submissions to the DBCDE around issues such as regulatory reform.
"I don't believe we'd offer as much value as other parties that have more flesh in the game," he said.
"I'm sure they'll cover off everything we'd like to see anyway."