NBN Co has confirmed it will bring fibre connections to an additional 150,000 brownfields premises following approval from the new government.
A spokesman for the company told iTnews tthe build approval came in a letter dated October 25, and that the new premises are on top of the 300,000 guaranteed by the interim statement of expectations. The news was first reported by The Age.
It was unclear which areas would now receive fibre, and whether the 150,000 would come from a pool of over 500,000 promised connections that iTnews revealed earlier this week are in limbo.
NBN Co's spokesperson declined to comment on the specifics of which brownfields areas would benefit.
"The FSAMs [fibre serving area modules] will be announced progressively - and the website maps will be updated - when each of the areas enters the build stage between now and February," the spokesperson said.
The fresh build contracts for fibre come after pressure from contractors and subcontractors for work to start flowing again.
Figures released by NBN Co earlier this week showed the rollout passed just 1915 premises in built-up areas in the month since September 29.