An end to nuisance calls has moved a step closer to reality with the introduction of legislation to create a $33 million national Do Not Call Register, however the initiative will still be an illusion to many.
The Do Not Call Register Bill 2006 and the Do Not Call Register (Consequential
Amendments) Bill 2006 will facilitate a national register allowing individuals to opt-out from receiving unsolicited telemarketing calls.
According to ICT Minister Helen Coonan, the bills were an important step towards maintaining Australians' privacy.
“This [initiative] gives those who dislike the intrusion and disruption caused by unsolicited telemarketing calls, peace of mind,” Senator Coonan said.
However, Coonan said the proposed legislation would now allow small businesses to telemarket to other small businesses. Previously, only charity and religious organisations were exempt from the proposed register.
“Businesses contact each other for a multitude of reasons in the course of day to day operations. The Government was concerned not to potentially expose organisations to fines and penalties for ordinary business-to-business contact.”
Before the Bill is finalised, it requires the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) to establish and oversee a Do Not Call Register and prohibits telemarketers from calling a number which has been included on the Register, Coonan said.
ACMA will be able to tender out the operation of the register, and it is expected a tender the process and begin following the passage of the legislation.
Do Not Call Register legislation introduced
By Staff Writers on May 25, 2006 10:51AM