Update: iiNet copyright case decision next week

By
Follow google news

Federal Court sets date for copyright showdown.

The Federal Court will hand down its decision in the copyright case between ISP iiNet and the film industry next week, according to a report in a major Australian newspaper.

Update: iiNet copyright case decision next week

The case was brought against iiNet in an attempt by the film industry to hold service providers responsible for illegal downloads over their networks.

The Australian newspaper said the decision would be handed down next week, citing a Federal Court announcement.

The Federal Court has this afternoon updated its electronic case files, revealing the judgement will be handed down on Thursday February 4th at 9.30am.

A spokesman for the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft said they were "looking forward to a decision".

Representatives of iiNet could not be reached for comment.

The judgement comes much earlier than even the best estimates from lawyers and industry observers.

A decision on the case, for which hearings concluded in late November last year, had not been expected for approximately six months.

You can follow the case in-full here. For a background on the case, click here.

Add iTnews as your trusted source

Got a news tip for our journalists? Share it with us anonymously here.
Tags:

Most Read Articles

Telcos unable to overturn $7.3bn bill to renew mobile spectrum

Telcos unable to overturn $7.3bn bill to renew mobile spectrum

Telstra and Ericsson to jointly research and test 6G

Telstra and Ericsson to jointly research and test 6G

Optus takes on 450 staff to address triple zero crisis

Optus takes on 450 staff to address triple zero crisis

Victorian bulk porting scammer gets over two years in prison

Victorian bulk porting scammer gets over two years in prison

Log In

  |  Forgot your password?