The Government program assists broadband providers with supplying internet access to all regions across Australia.
Seven applicants have finalised the registration process and have entered into funding agreements with the Government. Those already approved and registered include: Australian Private Networks, Elders, HarbourIT, Internode, Westnet, Westvic Broadband and Wideband Networks.
Coonan said a further seven applicants have been approved to join the program.
“In order to be registered and to be able to offer subsidised services, these applicants need to execute their funding deeds with the Government,” she said.
These applicants include Amcom, Broadband Wireless, McPherson Media, Ocean Broadband, Optus, Skymesh, and Telstra.
But Coonan warned that unless funding deed had been duly executed, the providers would not be able to participate in the program. They have until 10 October 2007 to return to the Department executed copies of the funding deed.
The Department will be writing to all impacted applicants separately to advise them of the deadline that will apply to their offer of registration. If an applicant does not execute and return the funding deeds within the notified deadline, the offer of registration for the program will lapse.
Coonan said after the second registration round which closed on 2 October 2007, the Government does not intend to offer any future registration rounds under the Australian Broadband Guarantee.
Consumers interested in accessing the Australian Broadband guarantee should contact BroadbandNow, available from www.broadbandnow.gov.au or on 1800 883 488 Monday to Friday 8am-9pm EST.
Broadband providers finalise funding as Broadband Guarantee deadline looms
By Staff Writers on Oct 3, 2007 4:41PM
Federal ICT Minister, Helen Coonan, has announced another eight broadband providers have been approved under the $163 million Australian Broadband Guarantee, bringing the approved total to 14.
Got a news tip for our journalists? Share it with us anonymously here.