Microsoft outlines apps banned from MarketPlace

By on
Microsoft outlines apps banned from MarketPlace

Microsoft has published a list of applications that it will not allow to be sold in its applications MarketPlace, announced earlier this year.

Among the banned applications are any that allow voice over IP (VoIP), any applications over 10MB in size and any that change the default browser on the user’s computer.

Applications that sell, link to, or promote mobile voice plans are also banned.

Other limitations include a ban on any location-based software that could reveal the position of a user without their express consent and any applications that allow users to use other application stores.

In addition any advertisements that appear in applications, a popular way to increase revenue for developers, must be approved by Microsoft before applications can be sold.

Microsoft opened up the MarketPlace to developers at the weekend and is expected to hold the official launch this winter.

However, the company may not get too many takers among the development community, as its terms don’t stack up well next to competitors like Apple’s App Store.

For example, Microsoft has said that developers will only receive 30 per cent of the price of any applications sold, while it will keep the other 70 per cent.

Apple takes a 30 per cent cut from its developers.

In additions developers will have to buy a licence from Microsoft, at a cost of US$99, to submit up to five applications in a year.

Any additional applications will cost another US$99 each.

Apple lets developers post up applications for free, once they have gone through a vetting process.

It does not let buyers return applications for a refund however, something Microsoft allowing within the first 24 hours of purchase.

Got a news tip for our journalists? Share it with us anonymously here.
Copyright ©

Most Read Articles

Log In

  |  Forgot your password?