The federal opposition has called for a senate inquiry into the government’s My Health Record “fiasco”, as the opt-out period enters its second month.
Shadow minister for health Catherine King and chair of the finance and public administration references committee Jenny McAllister today revealed Labor's plan to "lead" the inquiry into the much-maligned scheme.
“We remain deeply concerned that the government’s bungled rollout of the My Health Record opt-out period has severely undermined public trust in this important reform,” the pair said in a statement.
They are preparing to appeal to the crossbench this week to support a "comprehensive inquiry", pre-empting the government's own reference to the Senate finance and public administration reference committee.
The call follows the government’s promise to redraft part of the My Health Record legislation to make it harder for agencies and police to gain access to the content of a personal electronic health record after a backlash from Australia’s peak medical body.
Just last week it also extended extended the opt-out period for individuals to withdraw their consent from the scheme.
But despite the changes, Labor believe “more needs to be done” to quell privacy and security concerns.
“Labor remains of the view the government should suspend the My Health Record rollout until this mess can be cleared up.”
The inquiry will review the all aspects of the scheme and report before the end of the revised opt-out period on November 15.
“The inquiry will review all the laws, regulations and rules that underpin the My Health Record,” the pair said.
“I will examine the government’s decision to shift from an opt-in system to an opt-out system and whether it adequately prepared for this fundamental change from Labor’s system.
“It will examine a range of privacy and security concerns, including the adequacy of the system’s log-in procedures and default settings.