NBN Co takes on third-party pit damage costs

 

Industry welcomes changes.

NBN Co has made a concession to greenfields developers that will see it shoulder responsibility for damage to pit-and-pipe infrastructure by third parties.

The concession was one of a series of changes revealed to developers yesterday, in a clear sign that the national network builder was listening to concerns.

Last week iTnews revealed that developers had been reticent to deploy passive infrastructure themselves, preferring to pay Telstra to do it in part so they wouldn't bear the risks for third-party damage caused by heavy machinery on new home building sites.

NBN Co's shift was welcomed by Robin Russell & Associates managing director Robin Russell.

"We are used to dealing with GOCs [Government-owned corporations] who take months to address even the simplest of issues," he said in an advisory note.

"But not NBN Co - they appear to be trying to tap into the wisdom of all experienced players, so when they find themselves heading in a wrong direction, they quickly correct their course.

"This augers well for their chance of future success."

NBN Co's executive general manager of new developments Archie Wilson told iTnews that the changes were an example of the "open and collaborative working relationship with the development industry".

"We strive to adapt our requirements where it is feasible," he said.

"Both NBN Co and the development industry are adjusting to a significant change from practices which have existed for decades – this requires flexibility and cooperation from both sides, and so far the signs are encouraging."

Apart from shouldering damage claims, NBN Co was also understood to have introduced more realistic timeframes into NBN developer agreements and loosened rules around insurance holders, also pleasing the industry.

Russell told iTnews that the liability concessions could help change developers' mindset against outsourcing the rollout of passive infrastructure to Telstra, instead of doing it themselves.

Those that chose Telstra for the job in the short-term still faced issues with the timing of the handover of the passives to NBN Co – a key condition in the NBN developer agreement. The issue remained unresolved and was an ongoing source of tension within the sector.

Sources told iTnews that other conduit builders other than Telstra could emerge to offer services to greenfields developers as early as July, based on the latest revision of NBN Co's technical specifications released April 1.

That revision was seen to represent a solidifying of the rules on achieving NBN compliance for passive infrastructure, reducing the risk of deployers falling afoul of changes to the specifications.

Copyright © iTnews.com.au . All rights reserved.


NBN Co takes on third-party pit damage costs
 
 
 
Top Stories
ANZ looks to life beyond the transaction
If digital disruptors think an online payments startup could rock the big four, they’ve missed the point of why people use banks, says Patrick Maes.
 
What InfoSec can learn from the insurance industry
[Blog post] Another way data breach laws could help manage risk.
 
A ten-point plan for disrupting security
[Blog post] How can you defend the perimeter when it’s in the cloud?
 
 
Sign up to receive iTnews email bulletins
   FOLLOW US...
Latest Comments
Polls
What is delaying adoption of public cloud in your organisation?







   |   View results
Lock-in concerns
  29%
 
Application integration concerns
  3%
 
Security and compliance concerns
  27%
 
Unreliable network infrastructure
  9%
 
Data sovereignty concerns
  21%
 
Lack of stakeholder support
  3%
 
Protecting on-premise IT jobs
  4%
 
Difficulty transitioning CapEx budget into OpEx
  3%
TOTAL VOTES: 1048

Vote