Burning PlayStation Portable injures child

 

A 12 year-old boy has been treated for burns after his Sony PlayStation Portable burnt a hole in his pocket..

Henry Clay was in class when he realised that something was wrong and a teacher was able to get the device out of his pocket before serious damage occurred. The child was treated for second-degree burns to his leg in hospital.

"He said it wasn't a gradual heat. It really started heating up. He's always been taught burn - fire - smoke, you drop and you roll. So, he dropped and rolled," Sheila Clay, the victim's mother, told Click On Detroit.

In an ironic touch the PSP was carrying the game Burn Out, a driving simulation created by EA Games.

"It was unbelievable, because it wasn't on. It was just in his pocket," said the victim's father, Harold Clay.

Early reports suggest that the fire was caused by the lithium-iron battery overheating. There have been increasing reports of fires from this type of battery, usually affecting laptops.

Problems typically occur if small fragments of metal contaminate the battery fluid and cause sparks. Sony has had such problems before and is currently investigating this case.

Copyright ©v3.co.uk


Burning PlayStation Portable injures child
 
 
 
Top Stories
The CISO’s dilemma: Do you trust your partner’s partner?
[Blog post] How far down the chain do you check?
 
Microsoft confirms Australian Azure launch
Available from next week.
 
NBN Co names first 140 FTTN sites
National trial extended.
 
 
Sign up to receive iTnews email bulletins
   FOLLOW US...
Latest Comments
Polls
In which area is your IT shop hiring the most staff?




   |   View results
IT security and risk
  25%
 
Sourcing and strategy
  11%
 
IT infrastructure (servers, storage, networking)
  22%
 
End user computing (desktops, mobiles, apps)
  15%
 
Software development
  26%
TOTAL VOTES: 290

Vote
Would your InfoSec team be prepared to share threat data with the Australian Government?

   |   View results
Yes
  60%
 
No
  40%
TOTAL VOTES: 106

Vote