China has allowed a few token pro-Tibetan sites open for foreign hacks during the Olympics but journos at the games suddenly noticed even these had been switched off over the weekend.
This became a little obvious as news editors told their staff based in China to follow up a statement from the Dalai Lama that troops had again fired on Tibetan protestors in Sichuan province.
The Dalai Lama added that 400 people had been killed in Lhasa since March.
As the hacks turned to the Internet to cut and paste their stories, they found they had been switched off.
Police and government officials in Garze contacted denied there had been any unrest there or said they had not noticed.
China clamps down on pro-Tibet sites
By Nick Farrell on Aug 26, 2008 8:14AM