Google has been given an extra six weeks to respond to European Union charges that it uses its dominant Android mobile operating system to squeeze out rivals.
The US technology giant found itself under fire in April as the European Commission said its requirement that mobile phone manufacturers pre-install Google search and the Google Chrome web browser in order to get access to other Google apps may harm consumers and competition.
The search giant originally had until July 27 to reply to the antitrust charges, but has been granted an extension until early September in order to allow it to properly review all documents in the case.
"The Commission has agreed to extend Google's deadline to respond to its statement of objections concerning Android and its applications until September 7. Google asked for additional time to review the documents in the case file," Commission spokesperson Ricardo Cardoso said.
Google generated an estimated US$11 billion (A$14 billion) last year from sales of ads running on Android phones featuring Google apps. Android has become the dominant software in recent years, running most of the world's smartphones.
If the EU were to find Google guilty of market abuse it could lead to a fine of up to US$7.4 billion or 10 percent of 2015 revenue, while forcing it to change its business practices.
The company did not immediately respond to a request for comments.
The search giant is also fighting a separate EU accusation that it favours its shopping service in Internet search results over rivals. A decision on the shopping service case could come later this year.