T-Mobile has since bowed to pressure and promised to up the limit to 3GB per month.
Sony Ericsson, meanwhile, has voiced concerns about the new platform, saying: "If you want to give every service away to Google, then Android is the perfect solution."
Underestimating the power of Google to make things happen is, of course, unwise. But whether Android turns out to be 'the next big thing' or an embarrassing flop is still very much in the balance.
Check here for all the latest news, reviews and comment:
- Android cap will be 3GB in UK
- T-Mobile cripples Android with data caps
- Sony Ericsson voices Android concerns
- Google Android Poll
- First Look: Google Android G1 phone
- VIDEO: Google Android G1 Hands-On
- First Google Android handset lands
- Android to grab 10 per cent of smartphone market
- Android UK launch set for Tuesday
- Android device to sell for $199
- Android makes its European live debut