A-G's Dept hides names of telcos in data retention probe

Powered by SC Magazine
 

Identities stay secret.

The Attorney-General's Department has reneged on revealing the identities of telcos that participated in early data retention consultations in 2009.

The department had left the door open to disclosing the identity of "commercial participants" at the consultation meetings during a Senate Estimates hearing on May 29.

Details of those consultations were first revealed under Freedom of Information earlier this year.

Greens Senator Scott Ludlam used the most recent Senate Estimates to seek more details of the consultations.

Assistant secretary of telecommunications and surveillance law branch of the Attorney-General's department — and the consultation lead — Catherine Smith had told the committee she had no problem with providing on notice the names of commercial participants of the meetings.

But in answers to questions on notice the Department said it would not disclose any names.

"While it was suggested that the Department may be able to provide the names of commercial participants, on reflection it is considered that identifying the private sector organisations that participated would jeopardise industry's willingness to participate in further consultative forums," it said. (pdf)

Copyright © iTnews.com.au . All rights reserved.


A-G's Dept hides names of telcos in data retention probe
 
 
 
Top Stories
NBN to offer TV connections through fibre for greenfields
Ditching aerials to come at a cost.
 
Tech SWAT teams kicking down the digital door
From dam engineers in Ecuador to Sydney light-rail gurus, Cardno's global CIO Karen Wagner is linking up her widespread organisation.
 
AusPost board approves Fujitsu outsourcing
End user computing to be handed over to partner.
 
 
Sign up to receive iTnews email bulletins
   FOLLOW US...
Latest Comments
Polls
Is site blocking effective in stopping piracy?


   |   View results
Yes
  2%
 
No
  86%
 
Somewhat
  13%
TOTAL VOTES: 664

Vote