WikiLeaks suspends ops to raise cash

Powered by SC Magazine
 

Promises mystery new secure submission facility.

WikiLeaks spokesman Julian Assange has suspended the organisation’s publishing activities to focus on raising funds that he accused Visa, Mastercard and the Bank of America of choking off.

“This blockade is outside of any accountable process, it is without democratic oversight or transparency,” Assange told a press conference in London on Monday.  

Assange said the financial blockade had cost the whistleblowing organisation tens of millions of dollars in lost donations, forcing it run on cash reserves for the past year.
WikiLeaks earlier this year filed a complaint with the European Union over the card networks' blockade.

Assange detailed an alleged conspiracy by the Bank of America to launch cyber attacks against WikiLeaks’ infrastructure through third party contractors, such as HB Gary.

In place of major card networks, WikiLeaks has turned to cheques and cash in the mail, mobile payments, traditional bank deposits, the cryptographic currency bitcoin, wire service Moneygram and Flattr.

Assange estimates that WikiLeaks needs $3.4 million to operate at the same capacity as it has in the past 12 months.
This is separate to funds being raised for Assange's fight against extradition to Sweden to face questioning over sexual assault allegations. 

The organisation is also re-engineering its leaks submission system, which Assange said is untrustworthy following alleged attacks on its infrastructure by a person he would only identify as a former employee that was fired last August.
 
“As a result we have had to completely re-engineer, from scratch, a new generation submission system,” said Assange.

The new system will be launched on November 28 and will be “independent of all certificate authorities”, which Assange said are also untrustworthy.  

Copyright © iTnews.com.au . All rights reserved.


WikiLeaks suspends ops to raise cash
 
 
 
Top Stories
Photos: iTnews Benchmark Awards countdown begins
Just a few days left until entries close for 2014.
 
Australian Govt to rethink cyber security strategy
Six-year old policy to be refreshed.
 
The failure of the antivirus industry
[Blog post] Insights from AVAR 2014.
 
 
Sign up to receive iTnews email bulletins
   FOLLOW US...
Latest Comments
Polls
Who do you trust most to protect your private data?







   |   View results
Your bank
  38%
 
Your insurance company
  3%
 
A technology company (Google, Facebook et al)
  8%
 
Your telco, ISP or utility
  7%
 
A retailer (Coles, Woolworths et al)
  2%
 
A Federal Government agency (ATO, Centrelink etc)
  20%
 
An Australian law enforcement agency (AFP, ASIO et al)
  15%
 
A State Government agency (Health dept, etc)
  5%
TOTAL VOTES: 1035

Vote