Kogan Mobile claims victory in ispONE battle

 

ispONE abandons counterclaim, wants Telstra named.

Telstra reseller ispONE has agreed to stop suspending Kogan Mobile users from its network without Kogan's approval, unless in accordance with the service suspension policy.

The final hearing in the court case between the pair was held today in the Victorian Supreme Court. 

Kogan Mobile took legal action against ispONE last month after the latter suspended and blocked a number of Kogan Mobile customers over several months for what it claimed was overuse. Mediation between the two had previously failed. 

Counsel for Kogan Mobile, Arnold Bloch Leibler partner Justin Vaatstra, told iTnews the company had acted in the interests of its users.

“Kogan Mobile took the action it had to take to protect its customers and we’re pleased to have obtained the relief that we sought to do that," he said outside court.

“We’ve been entirely successful.”

ispONE today abandoned its counterclaim against Kogan Mobile, which had argued "misleading and deceptive conduct" meant Kogan was in breach of the master wholesale agreement between the two.

Kogan Mobile counsel in court today said the allegation was "outrageous". 

“We thought that was a misconceived claim,” Vaastra told iTnews.

Counsel representing ispONE sought to have a reference to Telstra included in today’s undertaking, arguing it was Telstra, not ispONE, that ultimately carried out the suspension of users from its network.

Kogan counsel Norman O’Bryan SC asked for the reference to be removed.

“ispONE has assiduously avoided even mentioning the holy name of Telstra up until now,” O’Bryan told the court.

ispONE had previously refused to provide the court with relevant communication between itself and Telstra.

O'Bryan argued the communication could have shed light on why Kogan Mobile was still waiting on 50,000 SIM cards, an agreed monthly order from ispONE, that it had expected to receive in early April.

The SIM cards are now expected to be delivered to Kogan Mobile on May 10.

“This is an issue that could destroy our business,” O’Bryan told the court.

The hearing was adjourned to allow orders to be drawn up to reflect the agreement. Justice Judd urged the parties to come to an agreement on costs outside of court. 

He said ispONE's abandonment of the counterclaim had shortened the case and should be taken into account in cost talks.

Kogan Mobile’s claim for damages is to be heard separately.

ispONE declined to comment.

 

 

 

Copyright © iTnews.com.au . All rights reserved.


Kogan Mobile claims victory in ispONE battle
 
 
 
Top Stories
Soft drinks and SoftLayer: A solution for hard times?
Coca-Cola Amatil's CIO Barry Simpson shares his story of cost-cutting, outsourcing and why his software developers to ride around in delivery trucks.
 
Optus considers breaking net neutrality in Australia
May charge Netflix, OTT providers for premium service.
 
AGL restructure sees CIO depart
Owen Coppage to leave after ten years.
 
 
Sign up to receive iTnews email bulletins
   FOLLOW US...
Latest articles on BIT Latest Articles from BIT
Small business win in a budget with 'fair' savings: Abbott
Apr 17, 2015
Tony Abbott has reaffirmed that the government’s aim is “always to get taxes ...
Xero now includes an inventory function built-in
Mar 26, 2015
Xero has added inventory and other major new features to the latest release of its cloud ...
Apple reveals its new MacBook
Mar 13, 2015
Replacing the MacBook Air as Apple's thinnest laptop, the new MacBook comes packed with features.
Xero has released a new version of its app for the iPad
Mar 6, 2015
iPad-wielding Xero users can now take advantage of a new version of the iOS app for the cloud ...
Microsoft is offering Azure for Disaster Recovery to Australian SMBs
Feb 10, 2015
If you haven't talked to your IT provider about disaster recovery, it might be worth discussing ...
Latest Comments
Polls
Do you support the Government's data retention scheme?

   |   View results
Yes
  11%
 
No
  89%
TOTAL VOTES: 2324

Vote